Firebase is automatically sending detailed updates to whom?

Wally J

Dec 4, 2023, 3:23:57 PM12/4/23
In another thread from yesterday...
*What your phone knows about you* by Jeff Layton
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/8czfdx27sKs/>

Jeff and I both were shocked when we did these two simple things:
1. Turn on Developer options
2. Then go to Settings > Google > Firebase

After doing so... Jeff asked
Q1: "What does the Firebase SEND UPDATE-INDEX mean?
Q2: Is that Firebsae send-update-index info sent to Google?"

Good question given how horrifically detailed the Firebase indexes are...
<https://i.postimg.cc/nhCCVxmB/mapsloctrack03.jpg> All Maps searches
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJLdfv3x/privacy05.jpg> All music files played
<https://i.postimg.cc/bYDN6SBd/privacy07.jpg> All recordings made
<https://i.postimg.cc/brQ77PnV/privacy08.jpg> All contacts contacted
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcCjHqHg/privacy09.jpg> All connected cell towers
etc.

But... I do NOT know the answer to these basic privacy questions.

There are basically three fundamental questions I'd ask of all of you:
A. What on Android is automatically sending the Firebase indexes?
B. To whom (and for what purpose) are Firebase indexes automatically sent?
C. How can we put a stop to this seemingly huge Android privacy leak?
--
Usenet is an attempt to find people who know more than you do.

Wally J

Dec 12, 2023, 5:54:09 PM12/12/23
Nobody seems to know much about Firebase so here are some references:

These are recent threads on the Android newsgroup about "firebase".
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/search?q=firebase>

*Does Google Firebase have all your searched for places indexed and uploaded?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Da-7woIRGoE/>

*Firebase is automatically sending detailed updates to whom?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/NK0ZfV9i3CE/>

*firebase- question maybe someone can answer?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/coXoOd4AUd0/>

*Firebase? Where is your Android cell tower connections log?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/iT4i40Ze5QY/>

*Firebase App Indexing is sending data weekly to someone - but who?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/57sy7lNnrzk/>

*How do you clear all Firebase indexables, en masse, on Android 11?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nHLaPrLeHVg/>

*Do you know how to Disable (or clear) Firebase Performance Monitoring on your Android phone?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/v9ov-rkLlU4/>

*Firebase*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Vg34KhrBfbw/>

*What your phone knows about you*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/8czfdx27sKs/>
--
Usenet is a place to find people who know more about Android than you.